January is the very first month of a brand new year! Did the gown-ups in your life celebrate the New Year by making New Year’s Resolutions? A resolution is a way of making an important promise to your self. If you want 2014 to be a better year than 2013, you will want to make some changes. These changes can be large or small and it helps if you write them down so you do not forget all about them by the time it is February.
You will want the promise or resolution to be something that is in your control, something that you can do on your own. Mister Spunky asked me to give you the perfect idea for a New Year resolution:
Get more exercise!
Take a look at a busy puppy and what do you see? They run and jump and climb and the only time they are still is when they are sleeping. A healthy puppy dog loves to exercise and feel happy and strong. You can be as happy as a puppy if you get enough good exercise too.
Can you do that? Here are a few suggestions to help you get more exercise:
- For every half hour you spend on an electronic device, go outside for an hour.
- In between every video game go take a walk outside.
- Choose one day a week that you will not watch any videos or play any video games. It will be your outdoor day!
- Talk your family into taking an after dinner walk once a week.
- Find some fun stretching exercises to do every morning as soon as you get out of bed.
- Put on some crazy music and dance your heart out. Mister Spunky’s Mom dances like no one is watching, don’t tell her, Mister Spunky and his friends are watching her dance. 🙂
- Decorate a jar or basket and put slips of paper in it with exercise suggestions. Every day choose one slip of paper from the jar and do whatever it says.
- Join a ballet or karate class.
Any way you do it, get moving! You will feel better and be able to keep up with your pets better too! Good luck!
Susie is a freelance writer who has always had a dog as part of her family since childhood. Her current writing partner is Layla, a mixed breed Labrador and Cocker Spaniel. http://susieklein.wordpress.com/
Based in Phoenix AZ., animal lover Kelly Preston is an award winning author of Real Dogs Don’t Whisper, a book in which she talks about her experiences and adventures with her special needs dogs and the life lessons they have taught – how she has learned and grown from them and they have learned and grown from her. Preston also produces Mr.MaGoo’s Corner, a free monthly dog-focused newsletter that features a reader of the month, birthday announcements, green pet tips, organic dog recipes and more.