It is that silly time of year again…Halloween and costume time! First I want to remind you of some Pet Safety Guidelines that we’ve mentioned before but they are important to remember. It is always important to keep your pet safe during Halloween.
If you live in a neighborhood that will get lots of kids coming to the door for Trick-or-Treating, it would be a good idea to put your doggie somewhere safe so he does not get too excited and escape out the front door. He might think that all those strange creatures need to be scared away!
If you want to put your puppy in a fun costume, here are some safety tips:
• A mask or hat must be kept out of their eyes at all times. Dogs do not like having their eyes covered.
• Make sure the pet costume does not have any small parts that could choke your pet.
• Try the costume on your pet a few days before Halloween so you know if it is going fit and he or she can get used to it.
• Make sure your pet-buddy has up to date identification in case he gets away from you.
• It is best to use a super simple costume. Keep reading for some super easy ideas!
A pet costume can be an expensive store-bought creation or you can just use things that you find around your house. Think of things that you can attach to your dog’s collar or harness, like:
• Angel wings.
• A black bow tie on one pet and a bridal veil on the other to make a furry Bride and Groom.
• A Superman cape.
• A Batman cape.
• Cardboard airplane wings.
• Attach a felt horse saddle to your dog’s harness. Maybe add a toy cowboy, like Woody!
• A fur-coat collar would turn your pup into a lion!
• Make your dog into a pretty flower by adding giant flower petals made out of soft material.
• Add a shark fin to the collar.
Whatever you do for Halloween, stay safe and be sure to hide your candy from your four-legged friends! Have fun!
Susie is a freelance writer who has always had a dog as part of her family since childhood. Her current writing partner is Layla, a mixed breed Labrador and Cocker Spaniel. http://susieklein.wordpress.com/
Based in Phoenix AZ., animal lover Kelly Preston is an award winning author of Real Dogs Don’t Whisper, a book in which she talks about her experiences and adventures with her special needs dogs and the life lessons they have taught – how she has learned and grown from them and they have learned and grown from her. Preston also produces Mr.MaGoo’s Corner, a free monthly dog-focused newsletter that features a reader of the month, birthday announcements, green pet tips, organic dog recipes and more.