Eleven years ago the National Dog Day Foundation created a special day to celebrate dogs and save dogs from homelessness and abuse. Their motto is “Saving 10,000 Dogs – One Day at a time”. #nationaldogday
National Dog Day is to remind us of the important contribution dogs make to our world every day. Not only are they loving and loyal companions to us, dogs also help us in many ways as they seek out bombs, lost people and guide the blind. National Dog Day is also determined to rescue dogs that are homeless or in homes that treat them badly.
So how can you and your dog celebrate this special holiday? The National Dog Day website has a few suggestions for you. Maybe you could do some of these fun and helpful activities to show how much you care about dogs.
NATIONAL DOG DAY ACTIVITIES:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter.
- Volunteer at the shelter. Maybe you could take the dogs for walks, clean their cages or play with the dogs.
- Check your home to make sure it is a safe place for your pets.
- Donate blankets, food and dog toys to your local shelter.
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite your friends and their dogs to come play together.
- Spend the day taking pictures of your dogs and enter them in a contest.
- Buy your pet a new toy.
- Give your dog a luxurious massage and bath treatment.
- Buy your dog a cool new color and leash.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your local pet store that sells puppy mill puppies.
- Write a letter to your Congressman and ask that he or she support the ban of puppy mills.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
I’m sure that you can create your own wonderful ideas to honor dogs on their very own day! Children, would love to hear how you will spend National Dog Day, share your plans.
Susie is a freelance writer who has always had a dog as part of her family since childhood. Her current writing partner is Layla, a mixed breed Labrador and Cocker Spaniel. http://susieklein.wordpress.com/
Based in Phoenix AZ., animal lover Kelly Preston is an award winning author of Real Dogs Don’t Whisper, a book in which she talks about her experiences and adventures with her special needs dogs and the life lessons they have taught – how she has learned and grown from them and they have learned and grown from her. Preston also produces Mr.MaGoo’s Corner, a free monthly dog-focused newsletter that features a reader of the month, birthday announcements, green pet tips, organic dog recipes and more.